Best Garden Fertilizers
Fertilizers are common commodities used by farmers, gardeners, or families to facilitate the growth of crops or gardens grows.
The manufacturers of fertilizers have developed a wide range of fertilizers to suit all farming scales, from the small garden of plants or flowers to a large plantation with thousands of crops.
How fertilizer is used
Before I cover how to effectively apply fertilizer to your garden, perhaps I should demystify some of the common myths about the fertilizer and plants.
Here are common misconceptions not many people know about fertilizers:
- Fertilizer is not a plant’s food. There are numerous publications and online forums that define fertilizer as simply plant food, which is wrong. Plants produce their food by the process of photosynthesis. What fertilizers do is provide elements that are deficient in the soil, such as potassium and nitrogen.
- More is never better. Don’t apply too much fertilizer hoping that it will lead to high yields. Plants will absorb the exact amount of nutrients needed and the rest will go to waste or abnormal growth.
- Not all plants need fertilizer. Remember, the fertilizer is meant to supply the elements that lack in the soil, but if the soil of your garden has these elements, then there is no point of applying fertilizers.
- Slow is better. Fertilizer that releases granular slowly allows the nutrients to be absorbed in a controlled and safe manner.
There are two major categories of fertilizers, liquid and granular fertilizers.
How to apply granular fertilizer
Granular fertilizers can be applied by simply broadcasting them with a spreader or your hands (some fertilizers have burning sensations) onto the surface of your garden or lawn. Consider adding some to the planting holes or rows before sowing your seeds. Spread the fertilizers evenly on the surface of the garden to about 4 to 6 inches. Use your watering can sprinkle water after applying the fertilizer to speed leaching down the soil and the roots of the plants.
How to apply liquid fertilizer
Liquid fertilizers are absorbed quickly and easily by plants. Depending on the directions on the label of the fertilizer, apply the fertilizer on the surface of the soil, and not on top of plants. Liquid fertilizers may require you to dilute with water before applying.
Most liquid fertilizers are applied biweekly and contain a high amount of nitrogen which enhances rapid foliage growth.
There are also other types of organic foliar sprays that are applied to the plant vegetative areas to promote prolific blossoming.
When applying liquid fertilizer, you should be careful not to contaminate your fertilizer with herbicides. It is a common mistake among gardeners who don’t have enough equipment.
When to apply fertilizer to your garden
Crops benefit significantly with the early-start fertilizing schedule. Some plants need just light application while others require more and regular applications.
Use the directions on the product package and follow the instructions on the interval of applications.
For granular fertilizer, it is highly recommended to apply before the rain so that it can dissolve into the soil faster. On the other hand, liquid fertilizers are best if applied during dry months either early in the morning or early evening.
Let’s look at the best garden fertilizers in the market today.
Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food (Best overall Fertilizer)
Our top pick goes to this multi-purpose fertilizer that quickly feeds your garden crops and makes them grow to their maximum potential. The fertilizer guarantees maximum growth in just 1 to 2 weeks after applying to your plants. It is called all-purpose because it is suitable for all plants in your garden, be it flowers, shrubs, trees, vegetables, bonsai, or any other houseplants.
The fertilizer is easy to apply and also one of the cheapest garden fertilizers in the market. It is a liquid fertilizer; therefore, you will need a watering can or garden feeder hose that comes with the product.
Another good thing about this product is that it does not burn your plants, unlike similar liquid fertilizers.
- Instant results
- Packed with lots of essential nutrients
- May damage small, delicate plants
The best fertilizer to help you maintain your lawn by providing sufficient food to your grass, shrubs, and flowers as well as protecting against future lawn problems, Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food enhances deep roots for your lawn plants.
It also helps your flowers, shrubs, grass, and other plants on your lawn absorb more water and help with drainage.
With this feed, you don’t have to keep trying new formula because it is recommended for all seasons.
- Protects against future problems
- Build strong, deep roots
- Increase water absorption of your lawn
- Suitable for any grass type.
- Doesn’t work for dormant grass
If you are looking for the best garden fertilizers for your indoor plants, look no more. Miracle-Gro will provide your indoor plants with enough nutrients to ensure they blossom.
It is also easy to apply. Simply place it into the potting soil and, voila you are done.
A single spike is enough to feed your indoor plant for around two months depending on its size. The nutrients in the products were designed to provide your plants that needed longevity for an aesthetic touch.
- Perfect for flowering and foliage indoor plants
- Feeds for about 2 months
- Safe for all indoor plants
- The macronutrients are formulated for houseplants
- Not eligible for international shipping
While the trees in your garden don’t require any special treatment in terms of fertilizers, using this product will help them to grow even higher while developing foliage for sheds. The spikes contain macronutrients crafted to work well on a wide range of tree species including elm, maple, dogwood, oak, poplar, and redbud a, among others.
It is easy to apply the spikes. Estimate your drip line based on the branch spread and drive down the spikes into the soil. The spikes can feed your tree for a couple of months.
- Easy to apply
- Continuous supply of essential nutrients
- Nourishes at the roots
- Easy to insert around each drip line
- The package can be destroyed during shipment
This is a perfect fertilizer for the growing garden. It will help your plants to sour with vitality. The formula of concentrated nutrients will provide food for your garden to keep it alive and greenly.
The fertilizer is suitable for veggies, fruits, tubers, bulbs, and flowers. It comprises of nitrogen, phosphate, and calcium (2-14-15), which is enough to enhance steady growth of your plants in the garden. The formula is also precisely measured to prevent burning your plants when it comes in contact.
- Excellent source of calcium and phosphorus
- Enhances sturdy root development
- Stimulates healthier fruits and booming
- Not eligible for international shipping
This is our pick for the best liquid fertilizer. It works wonders for lawns and gardens, with its micro-brewed formula to prevent earthworms and bat guano to enhance the foliage of your plants.
The advantage of liquid fertilizer is that it instantly sips into the soil and get absorbed into the roots of the plants easily.
The product also features some other elements such as rock phosphate and the Norwegian kelp that will boost the strength of your plants and increase yields.
- Incorporates earthworm castings
- Intensifies flower fragrance
- Enhances essential oil production
- Perfect for all fruits and flowering plants.
- No secure shipping
Jobe’s Tomato Fertilizer Spikes
As the name suggests, this gardening fertilizer is best for tomatoes. The spikes will release the feed into the roots of the plants in the right time to ensure your tomato receives a healthy amount of nutrients.
The fertilizer can be applied on potted as well as garden tomatoes.
Using the spikes is also quite easy, but you will need to set a timer so you don’t forget to replenish the plant.
- Easy to use
- Pre-measured fertilizer spikes
- Feeds continuously up to 8 weeks
- Lacks calcium
This fertilizer contains 11 nutrients and is capable of feeding your plant up to six months. And with a small scooper in the package, you can measure the feed appropriate for each plant. Application of the fertilizer is very simple. Just mix it into the superficial layer of your garden soil and come back after six months to do the same.
- Contains 11 essential nutrients
- Suitable for indoors, outdoors, and potted plants.
- Feeds plants up to six months
- May be harmful to the environment
Lilly Miller is perfect for large plants in your garden and shrubs. The fertilizer stimulates soil’s microorganisms to facilitate the building of soil content. It is perfect for both indoors and outdoors plants.
- Perfect for vegetative plants
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors plants
- Smells awful
An all-purpose fertilizer for indoor plants and gardens, Schultz is one of the best garden fertilizers in the market today albeit pricey.
- All-purpose fertilizer
- Contains enough nutrients to feed your plants
- Pricey as compared to other garden fertilizers in this list
Right fertilizer will go a long way to make your garden lively and blossom. This list contains some of the best garden fertilizers to make your work easier. You can also read the about best garden tools under budget in this other post.
If you liked this article then please share it with your friends and families
Growing vegetables in the garden is an action that can support you and your family from numerous points of view, which makes it one of the most significant exercises for each family unit.
Fragrant plants are not difficult to find but they definitely are difficult to choose from. Choosing fragrant flowers is like choosing perfumes, just a bit more complex.
Gardening tools can easily be overcharged, especially if you are a beginner. They can overcrowd your storage, but you need them to get an abundance of fresh veggies, fruits, and flowers.